Stock number: 19024Zoom Image
VOC East Indiaman 't Slot ter Hooghe before Fort Rammekens, Vlissingen (Flushing).
This large East Indiaman was built on the Middelburg shipyard for the Chamber Zeeland in 1776. Size 150 feet length, tonnage 575 last (1150 tons). She made three voyages to the East Indies. Lost in the Indian Ocean with all hands in 1790, setting sail from Batavia for Cape of Good Hope on March 6 1790 for her third homebound voyage and was never heard of again.
In 1781 she is kept back in Batavia because of the Fourth Anglo-Dutch War of 1780-84.
Drawing in ink and grey wash, Flushing (Vlissingen), Engel Hoogerheyden (1640-1809), between 1776 and 1788.
The drawing is unsigned but no doubt a study for this painting by maritime artist Engel Hoogherheyden, now in the Flushing Museum.
Watermark French Lily / Fleur-de-lis and monogram IV from the French paper mill of Jean Villedary. Last quarter of the 18th century, as called for. Excellent collector's condition.